You found our guide on how to plan an event in the metaverse.
A metaverse event is an online meeting in a 3D virtual world. These events include augmented reality elements and provide an immersive experience for participants to interact with each other and virtual objects. Metaverse event examples include virtual conferences, webinars, concerts, photo booths, and exhibitions. Businesses plan metaverse events to create unique experiences for participants to communicate and collaborate, regardless of their physical locations.
Metaverse events are similar to virtual event ideas, virtual event companies, and virtual event software. To help you plan your gathering, check out these event planning books and event management software apps. You can also follow this virtual events checklist to help you get started.
This article includes:
- how to host an event in the metaverse
- how to run live events in the metaverse
- metaverse event management tips
- metaverse event ideas
Let’s get started!
How to host an event in the metaverse
Metaverse events are currently gaining popularity due to their versatility and uniqueness. Individuals and even companies are starting to embrace the idea of metaverse events for an accessible and immersive experience. Whether you are a beginner or not, hosting successful metaverse experiences requires proper management and planning. Here are the best strategies to learn how to run live events in the metaverse.
1. Create a Web-Focused Team
Running an event in the metaverse differs from hosting one in person. You may need the help of some additional team members to ensure the process is smooth and professional.
Here are some examples of team members you may want to consider hiring:
- Web and digital content designers: Creating an engaging and inviting virtual space is quite different from an in-person one. Online, the user experience is critical to encouraging participation. According to a Zippia study, 94% of users will leave a website if they believe the design is low quality. Additionally, it takes visitors less than 50 milliseconds to decide if they like a site’s design. Thus, it is crucial to have members on your team who are familiar with digital landscapes. These staff members can help you design a space that will inspire folks to attend and keep them online once they arrive.
- IT teams: These experts can help at every stage of the event. You can ask tech teams questions while setting up the platform, have them troubleshoot bugs during test runs, and have them available during the event in case guests have questions. During the gathering, consider having a chat channel specifically for IT-related questions to facilitate quick resolutions.
- Moderators: This role is vital for gatherings that feature the general public as audience members. Live chat is one of the biggest benefits of hosting events in the metaverse. However, chats can quickly get out of hand and become unprofessional if no one monitors them. To speed up this process, you can use auto-mods to ban messages containing specific words or phrases. In addition, though, you should also have live mods on staff to watch for any conversations the bots may miss.
Hiring an IT team for your event is one of the top metaverse event management tips. By curating a team specializing in online spaces, you can ensure your function is as engaging and professional as possible.
2. Choose Your Metaverse Platform
The next step is to choose the appropriate metaverse platform to host your event. You can select from several metaverse platforms online. Each of these platforms has different features, capacities, and limitations.
Some important factors to look out for when choosing a metaverse platform for your event include:
- User interface: Be sure to select a platform with a user-friendly interface, regardless of how tech-savvy your attendees are. You do not want a low turnout because guests cannot navigate your venue.
- Registration process: A good system should make the registration process seamless. Attendees should be able to register for the event without going through many steps.
- Ticketing: You should be able to sell your tickets and track the revenue generated with a simple click.
- Seat numbers: Before choosing a program, learn the number of seats and limits of a metaverse event software. This knowledge will help you plan the number of attendees to invite so you stay within the platform’s capacity.
- Integrations and collaboration: A good metaverse event product should allow integration with different tools and software for easy collaboration and communication. For example, the platform should include email and social media integrations.
- Interactivity tools: It is important to choose a virtual event platform with interactivity tools for full immersion and participation. This program should include features such as live chat, polling, gamification, and photo booths.
- Customization: For a unique look, ensure the metaverse platform you use allows for redesigning. You should be able to create 3D objects and effects, upload your logo, and customize the color scheme. A customizable virtual space allows you to showcase your event theme or promote your brand.
These common features help ensure a streamlined and seamless function.
As mentioned before, you can use several metaverse platforms to host your gathering.
Here are some examples of websites you can check out to see if they fit your needs:
- Virtway Events: Virtway Events offers many activities, such as escape rooms, team building, games, and breakout activities. Up to 1,000 users can attend a single event on any device.
- Communique Conferencing: Communique Conferencing features over 50 customizable templates, proximity chat, and built-in gamification. The firm designed this site with networking in mind.
- Queppelin: Queppelin offers a wide array of metaverse technologies, including AR, VR, and gaming integrations. Users can integrate dedicated booths and streaming into ready-to-use software.
- Breakroom: Breakroom features custom content, customizable avatars, and a 3D marketplace full of thousands of assets. Companies can use the site as a virtual HQ, to host virtual events, or to run virtual classrooms.
- MootUp: MootUp provides prebuilt worlds, customizable avatars, and gamification to create engaging webinars and meetings. Users can create persistent 3D worlds for employees to meet and take breaks.
Of course, you can choose from many other platforms, but this list will help you get started. Ultimately, you need to select the site that offers the right features for your company.
3. Design Your Metaverse Space
After choosing the metaverse platform to use for your event, the next step is to design it. Some metaverse platforms already have premade templates, so creating your meta space is easy.
However, if you are looking to design your metaverse from scratch, there are certain things you need to bear in mind:
- Theme: Just like physical events, metaverse events should have a theme. A strong theme conveys what your event is all about. If your metaverse audience comes on your metaspace and cannot understand what is happening, then they will not gain anything from your event.
- Design: If you want a lasting impression on your audience, then you must emphasize quality design. You could hire the service of a professional 3D web designer and virtual reality development company to carry out this task. The look of your metaspace should create an immersive experience for users, especially as they are not physically present.
- Life-like representation: The metaverse involves a life-like model of the real world. Avatars should have a realistic feel, with human-like facial expressions and emotions. Allowing your audience to interact with the objects can also make the space more immersive.
- Audio elements: You should also include audio components in your design. Natural background or spatial sounds, like sea waves or birds chirping, make your metaspace more realistic and immersive.
- Voice interaction: One advantage of hosting events in the metaspace is allowing attendees to interact. Depending on the event type, allowing for proximity chat is a great way to encourage group networking. Additionally, voice chat lets guests talk more about your product or service.
- Chat: For your chat box, consider creating customized emojis to add a unique and branded feel to conversations. Hiring a moderator or two to monitor chats and keep discussions appropriate is also a good idea.
Creating a visually appealing space is the best way to ensure visitors stay on your site. Therefore, be sure to spend a lot of time on this step.
4. Create Avatars
Creating avatars is a great way to make your metaverse event more immersive. These avatars are life-like representations of a metaverse audience, designed to look like their human counterparts. Several free websites let you design free 3D full-body avatars. Also, many metaverse event platforms offer built-in avatar integration.
Although different websites have different formats for creating an avatar, most follow the same steps, which include the following:
- Choose a body type.
- Upload a photo. This personalized image is used to create an avatar that looks like you. You could also choose from existing avatar designs if you do not want to upload your pictures.
- Customize your avatar. Here, you can choose the skin tone, facial shape, clothing, accessories, and even makeup or tattoos.
- Save your customized avatar.
You could allow each attendee to design their own avatar, or if you know all the attendees, you could design some ahead of time. These figures add another layer of authenticity to your virtual world.
5. Integrate VR and AR With Your Metaverse Platform
Virtual reality gadgets and augmented reality integrations help attendees experience the metaspace to the fullest. These gadgets bridge the gap between real life and the metaverse. Users can use these VR gadgets to get a vivid feel of the metaverse and its activities.
Here are some of the best virtual reality gadgets to explore the metaverse with:
- Oculus Quest 2
- HTC Vive Cosmos Elite
- Sony PlayStation VR
- HP Reverb G2
- Pimax Vision 8K Plus Virtual Reality Headset
Several other VR gadgets are available to create a riveting metaverse event experience where the audience feels in tune with your metaspace.
AR experiences often utilize mobile devices to layer your branding and products over real locations. With AR integrations, users can see your products interacting with their personal spaces in real time. For example, fashion companies use AR to help visitors try on virtual clothing. AR can also create gaming experiences to help consumers interact with and learn more about your product. For instance, a skincare company used this tool to make a bubble-popping game that shared fun facts about the product as users played. Augmented reality bridges the gap between the virtual and real worlds, helping guests learn more about your brand.
6. Carry Out a Test Run
Like every other technological innovation, the metaverse may have a few glitches. Although planning helps prevent problems, it is important to double-check all technical aspects to ensure a smooth event, including tools and software. You should carry out a test event before launching the main metaverse event. If you are hosting a live-streamed function, then ensure the cameras and lighting work well. Also, check your internet connection to avoid lapses or glitches during live streaming. Finally, test the microphones, virtual space, and support systems ahead of time to ensure a smooth launch.
Metaverse event ideas
Depending on your interests and goals, you can host just about any event in the metaverse. Here are some event ideas to consider for your next metaverse gathering.
1. Virtual Conferences and Trade Shows
This idea is perfect for brands that want a unique experience for their stakeholders. You can discuss industry-related topics, promote your products or services, and network with other brands in the same industry. To personalize the space, incorporate your brand’s logo, name, and color during the design process and even create vendor booths.
2. Virtual Concerts
Virtual concerts are an interesting metaverse event idea. You can create a stage, musical equipment, and lighting effects. The best part is you can feature known and upcoming artists and create an immersive, entertaining experience for attendees. An example of a successful concert held in the metaverse is Marshmello’s Fortnite concert, where ten million attendees were present for the performance.
3. Gaming Event
Several metaverse platforms have gaming options for attendees. You can choose to organize gaming events on a metaverse platform if you are a gaming firm or want to build a community of gamers. You can also offer prizes for each tournament to boost engagement.
4. Virtual Art Exhibition
One metaverse event idea to consider is a virtual art exhibition. You can create a platform where artists can showcase their art to attendees for appreciation and patronage. For more variety in the event’s activities, you can also include art-related discussions, polls, and games.
5. Product Launches
Using a virtual space is one of the best ways to share your innovations with a broad audience. For instance, fashion brands can model 3D outfits, car companies can let users explore and drive virtual vehicles, and beauty brands can allow users to wear makeup filters based on new collections. Virtual events allow customers to interact with your brand from the comfort of their homes in a new way.
Fundraisers are a versatile function companies can use to raise money for a new product or support a good cause. Many virtual event platforms include fundraising integrations so guests can donate while attending your function. By reaching a wider audience online, businesses have a much higher chance of achieving their fundraising goals.
7. Career Fairs
Job hunters find 80 percent of their careers online, so bringing job fairs to virtual spaces makes these roles more visible. Career fair organizers can arrange for companies to have individual booths, and visitors can peruse the site for interesting prospects. This format benefits both employers and prospective staff, as they can interact while staying remote.
8. Networking and Team Building
In the US, 4.7 million employees work remotely at least half the time. With that in mind, creating connections online is more vital than ever. The metaverse is a great space to encourage remote colleagues to get to know each other better or create a space for industry professionals to mingle. With features such as live messaging and proximity chat, metaverse websites can facilitate strong workplace relationships.
There is no limit to what you can do in the metaverse to create unique events based on your preference. However, you should ensure that your event is engaging and interactive so attendees get the best experience in your metaverse space.
A metaverse event is an exciting experience for any attendee. However, planning requires precision, commitment, and creativity to ensure guests have a great time. To host a successful event, you need to hire the best team, choose the right platform, and curate your space. This detailed guide can help you plan a great metaverse event that surpasses your expectations.