This is a list of the best out-of-office messages for work emails.
Out-of-office messages are messages you can send via email, Slack, or other similar digital platforms to let your co-workers and employees know that you are not available and may be delayed in your response. Examples include “I am out of the office. Thank you for your patience, and I will contact you by (date)” and “Thank you for your message. I will reach out once I am back in the office!” The purpose of these messages is to inform co-workers, employees, and customers, why you are not presently responding to messages and to manage their expectations of when to expect a reply.
This post includes:
- simple out-of-office message
- funny out-of-office messages
- creative out-of-office messages
- out-of-office messages for holidays
- one-day out-of-office messages
- internal out-of-office messages for teammates
- vacation message examples
- work from home out-of-office messages
- parental leave out-of-office messages
Here we go!
Simple out-of-office message
1. I am currently out of office. Thank you for your patience, and I will get back to you soon.
2. I am out of the office. I will respond to your messages upon my return.
3. I am out of the office until (date/time).
4. Thank you for your message. I am not in the office right now and will contact you once I am back.
5. Thanks for getting in touch! I will respond to your query once I am back in the office.
6. (Name) is out of office. Please contact (name at number/email) for further assistance.
Funny out-of-office messages
7. I ate too much during my lunch break, and now I need to lie down. I’ll get back to you once the Tums make their way through my system.
8. “I’m not even supposed to be here today!” – Dante from Clerks. Try again tomorrow.
9. (Name) is enjoying their day off. Please contact them at another time.
………….You’re still here? It’s over. Go home.
10. “Don’t confuse having a career with having a life.” – Hillary Clinton. I’ll see you in a (day/week/month).
11. “No one on his deathbed ever said, ‘I wish I had spent more time at the office.” – Paul Tsongas. I’ll be back shortly.
12. “Every new beginning comes from some other beginning’s end” –Closing Time by Semisonic. The end of this message means my (weekend/vacation/day off) has started. I will return your message after the break.
Creative out-of-office messages
13. If a person messages someone who is out of office, is the message ever truly received? Check back in on (date) when I return to find out.
14. “This is not the person you are looking for. You can go about your business. Move along.” – Obi-Wan Kenobi
15. “I’m late! I’m late! For a very important date! No time to say hello, GOODBYE! I’m late, I’m late, I’m late!” –The White Rabbit from Alice in Wonderland. Currently in Wonderland, hopefully back soon.
16. ERROR 404. (Name) not found. They’re out of office until further notice. Try reaching out to (name and/or number/email).
17. It’s dangerous to go alone! Take this out-of-office message and check out that inn up ahead. I’ll meet you there by (date).
Out-of-office messages for holidays
18. Happy Holidays! I’ll be back next year.
19. Currently curled up with hot cocoa, nowhere near my laptop. I’ll be back once I’ve finished eating all these marshmallows.
20. The weather outside is so frightful, I’m not available today. Stay safe out there!
21. Shopping for brown paper and string to wrap my presents. Will be back as fast as wild geese that fly with the moon on their wings.
22. Simply having a wonderful holiday time. I will respond to your messages after the break.
One-day out-of-office messages
23. I’m not here today. See you tomorrow!
24. Taking a mental health day. I’ll be back in the office tomorrow.
25. Tomorrow, tomorrow, I’ll talk to you tomorrow. It’s only a day away.
26. I am out of the office today. Please contact (name) for immediate assistance. If your need is not urgent, I will be back tomorrow and will be able to assist you then.
27. Enjoying a long weekend. I’ll be back in the office on (date)
Internal out-of-office messages for teammates
28. I’m not in right now. I’ll be back in the office at (time).
29. Out of office today. Please contact (name) with any questions.
30. Carry on my wayward teammates. There’ll be peace when you are done. I will check in with your weary heads when I return. Don’t you cry no more.
31. Thanks for reaching out! I’m not in right now, but I’ll get back to you soon. Thanks for your patience!
32. I will be out of the office until (date). I look forward to hearing about our team’s progress when I return!
Vacation message examples
33. “Vacation is all I ever wanted. Vacation had to get away. Vacation meant to be spent alone” – The Go-Gos. I’ll be back in the office on (date)
34. “Not all those who wander are lost” – J.R.R. Tolkien. Enjoying my wandering for the next (week/month). Please contact (name) in the meantime.
35. If you are reading this message, that means I am finally spending my vacation days! I am currently making up for lost time, so please do not expect a response from me until (date). Talk to you then!
36. I finally beat the birds down to Acapulco Bay! I return from vacation on (date), and look forward to answering any questions you may have then.
37. You attempted to contact (your name) on their vacation. Go to jail. Go directly to jail. Do not pass go. Do not collect two hundred dollars. (your name) will return on (date).
Work from home out-of-office messages
38. Folding laundry, I’ll be back online in an (hour/few minutes/half an hour).
39. Enjoying a stroll around the neighborhood. I’ll get back to you by the end of the day.
40. Wi-Fi down. I will be unable to respond to your queries until I am back online. Thank you for your patience!
41. My cat jumped into my lap during my lunch break and is now purring contentedly. I will be out of office until further notice.
42. Making pasta by hand for lunch is taking a lot longer than expected. I will get back to you as soon as I am able!
Parental leave out-of-office messages
43. I will be out of the office until (date) in order to share the first (weeks/months) of my child’s life with my partner. Please only contact me in case of emergency.
44. I am out on parental leave until (date). Please wish my partner and me well as we welcome our child into the world.
45. Becoming a parent! I will be back in the office on (date), ideally after one night of more than two hours of sleep at a time. Fingers crossed!
46. (Baby’s name) joined my family on (date). I will be out of the office until further notice. Please contact (name) for any updates on (projects/clients/services).
47. And baby (name) makes (number)! I will be spending as much time as I can with the newest addition to my family for the next (number) of (weeks/months). If you require immediate assistance, please contact (name and/or number).
An out-of-office message is an easy way to let your co-workers know you are unavailable without interrupting your time away from work. Communication is key among co-workers, and an out-of-office message is a perfect way to set boundaries with your co-workers while still being communicative enough to let them know when to expect a reply. Great communication while out of the office keeps people in the loop and decreases the stress people might feel from not getting in contact with you right away. Considering all of these benefits, an out-of-office message can certainly help your return to the office go that much smoother.