You found our list of the best icebreaker questions.
Icebreaker questions are prompts you include at the beginning of a meeting or activity to help facilitate introductions. For example, the prompt might be “share your name, role, and what you usually eat for breakfast.” The goal of these questions is to have fun, create points of connection between participants, and build confidence speaking in front of the group.
This list includes:
So, let’s get to it!
Random Icebreaker Generator
Press the button to generate a random icebreaker question.
Fun Icebreaker Questions
- Do you fold your pizza?
- What fictional family would you most like to join?
- Would you rather be reincarnated as a cat or a dog?
- Pull out your phone; what is your most used emoji?
- Who was your childhood famous crush?
- Imagine you are a professional baseball player. What is your introduction song?
- What celebrity do most people say you look like?
- If you could try any food, what would it be?
- What movie do you wish you could watch again for the first time?
- You can only eat one food again for the rest of your life. What is it?
- What is your go-to karaoke anthem?
- What is your favorite type of sandwich?
- Pick your favorite decade. Tell us why.
- You are stranded on a remote desert island. Are you alone or with your worst enemy?
- What is the best thing you have bought so far this year?
- Who is your favorite Disney character?
- What superpower would you most want?
- What dog breed would you be?
- Have you ever met your idol?
- What bucket list item do you most want to check off in the next six months?
- Imagine you can instantly learn any language. Which would you choose?
- Do you prefer big dogs or small dogs?
- Show us your most-used emoji.
- Show us your phone background and tell the story behind why you picked this image.
- Show us the weirdest thing you have in the room with you right now.
- What emoji best describes how you are feeling right now?
- What are you drinking right now? If nothing, what was the last thing you drank?
Good Icebreaker Questions
- What was your favorite class in school?
- Who is your favorite author?
- What is an item on your bucket list?
- What was the last thing you ate?
- What is your favorite holiday?
- What is your favorite part of working from home?
- What is your favorite book genre to read?
- What is your favorite movie genre to watch?
- What is your most used phone app?
- What is your favorite thing to eat for breakfast?
- Are you more productive in the morning or at night?
- What is something we would not know about you just by looking?
- If you could live in any state, which state would you pick?
- If you could live in any country, which country would you pick?
- What do you usually eat for lunch?
- What is your #1 recommendation in this city?
- What is your favorite kitchen gadget?
- Which song could you listen to over and over again?
- You can visit any fictional time or place. Which would you pick?
- What was your favorite show as a kid?
- What is the earliest book you remember?
- What is your favorite season?
- What is your favorite seasoning?
Best Icebreaker Questions for Meetings
- What is the best piece of advice you have ever gotten at work?
- Imagine you no longer have to work. How would you spend a Tuesday?
- What person from history would you add to Mount Rushmore?
- What is your go-to TV show to watch at night?
- What is your favorite mythical creature?
- Who was your favorite pet?
- If you could play any Olympic sport, which would it be?
- What was the worst job you ever had?
- What is your favorite holiday tradition?
- What did you want to be when you grew up?
- What would it take to give up your smartphone for a month?
- What is your favorite dessert?
- Where is your favorite vacation spot?
- Do you know how to speak more than one language?
- Who is the most famous person you have met?
- What is your favorite musical instrument?
Funny Icebreaker Questions
- Does your car have a name? What is it?
- Choose one famous person from history you want on your team during a zombie apocalypse.
- What was the worst style or fashion trend you ever embraced?
- Tell us about your worst haircut ever.
- What fashion trend would you bring back?
- What food will you never eat?
- Would you go in the mother-ship with aliens if they landed on Earth tomorrow?
- What actor or actress would you want to play you in the movie about your life?
- Would you want to have an imaginary friend today? Did you have one as a child?
- What is your favorite knock-knock joke?
- Would you rather have a pet sloth or a pet parrot?
- Which trap in Home Alone was the best?
- Which movie made you laugh the most?
- Have you ever been to a comedy show?
- What is the best romantic comedy?
- Is Hugh Grant funny?
- What is the most obscure superpower you would want?
- Which superpower would you give to your arch enemy?
- How would you rate your laugh out of 10?
Weird Icebreaker Questions
- What is the strangest food you have tried? Would you eat it again?
- Show us your cell phone wallpaper. Is there a story behind it?
- If you could have any unlimited supply of one thing for the rest of your life, what would you pick?
- Would you let aliens beam you up if they came to Earth?
- What season would you be?
- What is your worst dance move?
- What is your favorite song to sing?
- What vegetable is best with cheese?
- You are the best criminal mastermind in the world. What crime would you commit if you knew you would get away with it?
- If you could be any supernatural creature, which would you pick?
- What reality show would you want to be on?
- There is a free, round-trip shuttle to Mars. The catch: it will take one year of your life to go, visit, and come back. Are you in?
- Imagine you could teleport anywhere. Where would you go right now?
- Would you want to have a personal assistant follow you around everywhere and do what you asked of them?
- Pick any band to play at your funeral.
Icebreaker Questions for Students
- What was your first online screen name?
- Which class is your favorite?
- Which class do you wish the school offered?
- What is your favorite childhood gym activity?
- What do you miss about kindgergarten?
- If you had to write a textbook, what would it be on?
- Do prefer a pop-quiz or end of year exam?
- What career do you want?
Icebreaker Questions for Kids
- What is your favorite color and why?
- Which super power do you want?
- Which are better, cookies or brownies?
- What is your favorite type of ice cream?
- Do you prefer hot chocolate or tea?
- Do you have an imaginary friend?
- What is something you like?
- Which month were you born?
- What do you call your grandparents?
- How tall are you?
- What size shoes do you wear?
- What is your favorite movie?
Icebreaker Questions for Work
- What was your first job?
- What is your earliest memory of this job?
- What is your standard office lunch?
- What did you want to be when you grew up?
- Do prefer working from home or the office?
- Is it better to be late for work or to leave early?
- What is the most unusual job you have heard of?
- Would it be better to start work five years later or end five years earlier?
- Would you support “National Avocado Day” as a work holiday?
- What is something you did at work that no-one noticed?
- What is the best work holiday?
Fun Team Building Questions
- Which fictional team is the best team of all time?
- Which real team is the best team of all time?
- Would you rather be an Avenger or a Power Ranger?
- Would you rather join Metallica or Backstreet Boys?
- Were the Spice Girls a good team?
- What is your earliest memory of teamwork?
- What is something you accomplished as part of a team?
- What was the first team you were part of?
- Have you ever won something as a team?
- Would you rather do a large project independently or as part of a team?
- On a scale of 1 – 10, how much of a team player are you?
- Can lone wolves be part of a team?
Community Building Questions
- What is a good way to give back to the community?
- What is an easy way to do something nice for someone?
- Who is someone in your community that makes a difference?
- Would you rather live in a city or a town?
- What is the best example of a community you have seen?
- Would you join a community in space if it was permanent?
- Would you rather live 100 years in the past or 100 years in the future?
- How much money do you make?
- Who is your office crush?
- What was the most difficult thing about your childhood?
- Have you ever seen a therapist?
- What is your mother’s maiden name?
- How did you get your worst scar?
- What is the worst advice you have been given?
Holiday Icebreaker Questions
- What is the first gift you remember receiving?
- What is your earliest memory of Christmas?
- Have you ever told someone Santa is not real?
- How do you like your potatoes?
- What is the best holiday treat?
- What is a holiday tradition you like?
- What is your New Years resolution?
- Would you rather live at the North Pole or the South Pole?
- Which holiday song is your favorite?
How to run effective icebreakers
Running good icebreakers is more difficult than most people think. You have likely been to a conference or meeting where you are prompted to “say your name, and what you hope to get from the session.” This questions is boring.
Instead, start with a fun or interesting question so that people want to listen to the answer. Then, have the host prompt with the question, name who will go next, and then give their own answer as a demo. If the participants are in a circle, you can continue in that direction, and online each person can nominate who goes next before sharing their answer. This format helps make it clear who should speak and win, which also removes anxiety for some folks sharing out.
Icebreakers are a fun and easy way to increase engagement at work, meetings, and events. You can spend just five minutes on a few good icebreaker questions and learn a lot about your coworkers; it is worth it!
FAQ: Icebreaker Questions
Here are some common questions we see about icebreaker questions, and the answers.
What are icebreaker questions?
Icebreaker questions are prompts you include at the beginning of a meeting or other activity to help facilitate introductions. These questions tend to reveal personal information about participants, which may be as simple as a favorite breakfast food or movie.
What makes icebreaker questions good?
Good icebreaker questions tend to reveal small elements of personality. For example, you might ask about what someone eats for breakfast, or what they liked most about college. The best icebreakers will prompt answers that are fun and memorable, and which your people can later bond over.
How do you do icebreaker questions successfully?
Start with fun and easy questions that anyone can answer without thinking too much. For example, anyone can answer how they like their coffee. Then, make it clear which order of people you are going in so that participants can prepare. As your group becomes more comfortable with each other, you can increase the difficulty of questions.
P.S: Press "CTRL + D" or "Command + D" to bookmark this page - we update it often.
Share this article:
100% Online Team Building Activities
We run world class online team building events that remote teams love. Rated 5 Stars.