This post includes our list of virtual team building icebreaker questions for meetings.
Virtual team building icebreaker questions are prompts you include in a virtual meeting for attendees to share a little about themselves. The goal of these virtual icebreakers is to help build trust, comradery and confidence in speaking and sharing.
Specifically, we’ve included:
- virtual team icebreakers
- fun icebreakers for virtual teams
- virtual happy hour icebreakers
- team icebreakers for virtual meetings
- remote team icebreakers
- team building questions for remote employees
And more 🙂
So, check out our list of virtual ice breakers for remote teams.
List of virtual team icebreaker questions
Here is a list of short virtual team building ice breaker questions you can use in virtual meetings or conference calls. The list is organized into easy, medium and hard icebreakers and you should assign them to your team based on how well connected you already are. If you have new team members then start with easy team building questions, and get progressively more difficult the more connected you already are.
Easy virtual icebreakers
- What did you eat for breakfast?
- Are you a morning person or a night owl?
- Bacon or avocado?
- Tea or coffee?
- Dogs or cats?
- On a scale of 1 – 10, how experienced are you with remote work?
- How long have you worked from home?
- Where did you grow up?
- Where do you consider “home”?
- Which web browser do you use most?
Medium virtual icebreakers
- What is your favorite “work from home” exercise?
- Would you rather work from the beach or a mountain cabin?
- Where is your dream location to work from?
- Do you have a pet?
- What do you like most about remote work?
- Would you rather start early or work late?
- What is the most unique thing you have within reach of your desk?
- What is the last book your read?
- What is your typing speed?
- Are you wearing socks?
- Do you remember your ICQ number?
- Where would you choose to haunt for all of eternity?
- What is the best thing about the internet?
- Did you brush your teeth today?
- What is your favorite website?
- What was your first online search?
- What is the story behind the background on your phone?
- Have you ever left a 1 star review online?
Difficult virtual icebreakers
- Do you have any remote work productivity hacks?
- What is a best practice when working from home?
- Which blog written by a single author is your favorite?
- What is your WiFi name?
- What is the last website you visited?
- Do you have a favorite news site?
- What is the most challenging part of working from home?
- Who is the last person you talked to in IRL?
- What was your first online username?
- What work from home habit is most successful for you?
- What is your go-to excuse for being late to virtual meetings?
- What is the most interesting online article you’ve read lately?
- What is your most popular tweet?
- What is your most popular social media post?
- Have you ever gone viral online?
- When was the last time you showered?
- Which website do you spend the most time on?
- What is the last YouTube video you watched?
- What was your most recent Google search?
- Would you vote online?
- What is the first website you remember visiting?
- What is your earliest memory of the internet?
- Which app do you use most frequently?
How to run effective virtual icebreaker questions for remote teams
Running team building icebreaker questions on virtual conference calls is challenging because you have fewer virtual cues. In person, you can form a circle, while on video you may not even know what order your people are in.
The solution is for the host or facilitator to start by saying they will go first, followed by the next two people on deck. Once you get to the third person, name the next two people on deck and so on. This system gives each participant clarity on who is going next and when it is their turn.
More virtual ice breaker questions
Icebreaker questions are an easy way to increase engagement in a virtual meeting. You can use any of the questions on this list, create your own or check out our full list of icebreaker questions for work.
You will be happy you included a few team building icebreaker questions in your call.
written with 💖️ by Michael Alexis
P.S: Any feedback on this article? Write a quick comment to share your thoughts so I know we reached you.
100% Virtual Team Building Activities
We run world class virtual team building events that remote teams love. Rated 5 Stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐